sometime in Oct 2002
When I arrived in Vienna, the surrounding buildings of the Vienna International Centre was partly being constructed. Today, plans of expansion and modernization are being realized by the city engineers. Housing as well as commercial spaces have been erected along with the offices and other convention centers in the area.
About 5,000 people work at the VIC, which also offers catering, banking, postal and shopping facilities. Larger conferences can be accommodated in the neighbouring Austria Center Vienna, a conference and exhibition centre with a capacity of 6,000.
A major UN site along with New York, Geneva and Nairobi, the VIC hosts several organizations::
1. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
2. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
3. United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV)
4. Office for Outer Space Affairs (OOSA)
5. United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
6. Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO).
24 July 2008
See more of the world or join...click here.