Theme Day - Circle/Sphere ---- My World 7 - Riesenrad

by - 1.12.08

ferris wheel



25 February 08




One of the famous playplace for kids in Vienna is the Praterstern. Carnival, arcade games and pure fun awaits them and also those child-at heart here. One of the biggest attraction is the big Riesenrad (Ferris/Giant wheel), it has become a Viennese icon much like the London Eye or Tokyo's Big-O or the Singapore Flyer. A ride would give you a good view of the city.

The Ferris wheel was erected in the years 1896-97 by the English engineer Walter Basset, The same engineer who made one in London, as well as Chicago, Blackpool, and Paris.

Technical Data
Total height: 64,75 m
Diameter of the Wheel: 60,96 m (=200 feet)
Height of axis centre: 34.20 m
Total weight of the iron structure: 430,05 t
Turning speed: 0,75 m/sec = 2,7 km/h

Number of cabins: 15 (prior to 1945: 30)

Since 1987 cabin nr. 30 serves as a luxury cabin

Prices range from 3,20E (kids) to 8E(adults) but lower when you come in groups.

If you look closely, there's another circle...it is the reflection of my camera on the train's glass window.



Today is City Daily Photos Theme Day, there are 187 city blogs that participated click here to view thumbnails for all participants.

Also....

See more of the world or join...

You May Also Like

21 comments

  1. It's great picture, but I don't think you'd get me up there :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I didn't realize that Vienna has a giant one of these too and is this the oldest in operation?

    Mine's up at wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the Riesenrad in the prater. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun place to spend some happy time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful ferris wheel. Interesting to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks a great ride there.nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize there were ferris wheels more than 100 years old. I like looking at it but I'd never go up in one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a magnificent shot! I didn't realize there were any ferris wheels that old either! Fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you been on this wheel? Cool shot.

    Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments.

    joy
    A Pinay In England
    Your Love Coach
    I, Woman

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful ferris wheel and interesting facts too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great ferris wheel, i surely wouldn't want to be on it tho, i don't like them. It truly is different

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely shot of a grand old ferris wheel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Gizelle! Very nice picture and interesting data about the ferris wheel.
    I always like to see ferris wheels from... the ground!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i remember this shot. simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First time I've seen a ferris wheel with the spokes covered by something. Nice design. I'm a little late, but happy theme day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's nice and beautiful - it looks to me like Japanese fan:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice shot... pero takut din ako... i used to love thrill rides. pero ngayon, ayawan na... takot na ako. hahaha... pang merry go round na lang ako. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, no I did not arrange the flowers, I took pictures from shop windows :)
    Riesenrad is a lot of fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! This is a someday "must do" thing. I can't believe how old it is!

    ReplyDelete