"Colored"

by - 18.1.08

Colored


'Colored'

August 22,2004; Donauinsel, Vienna

Now that's really a contrast between the photo category and the photo title. Chiaroscuro, an art term for contrasts between light and dark...for some reason the word has always appeared 'black and white' in my head...so I posted this photo today with a title literally opposite chiaroscuro. =)

I have kept this photo and has included it in almost all my online photo folders... I like photographing kids, I miss black and white photography, I like talking with Africans: they are so warm a people! The parents of these kids are close aquaintances of mine and we would sit down and talk about how fast the kids grow whenever we bump into each other. This photo is more than 3 years old!

I do not mean to offend anyone with the title, but I have used this title in reference to a poem whose author is unknown.

Dear white fella

Couple things you should know
When I born, I black
When I grow up,I black
When I go in sun, I black
When I cold, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black.

You white fella
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die, you grey.


And you have the cheek to call me colored?

You May Also Like

0 comments